Thursday, January 24, 2008

Scene 4

D: You who are burning to see what you should not behold
and who long to grab hold of what musn't be touched
I call you, Penthe-us: come on out outside of the palace,
let me've a look at you, dressed up like a Bacchic Maenad
so you can go spy on your mother.
(Pentheus enters)
But you look more like one of Kadmos' daughters!
P: Oh my! I think I see two suns and two
cities, two seven-gaited Thebes;
and you look like an animal leading us, for two
horns have sprung up from your forehead. Have you ever been
such a beast before? You were as fierce as fierce as a bull.
D: The god’s acts in you: before you did not accept him;
ally'ing with us now you see what it is you should see.
P: Well how do I look? Standing here don't I appear
exactly like Ino or my mother Agauve?
D: Looking at you I'd swear you were they.
But this lock of hair has fallen out-of-place: that's not
where I tucked it underneath your headband.
P: I messed it up when I was inside, tossing my
head up and down, practicing being a Bacchant.
D: Well since you're so concern'd about it, then
let me brush it back for you: lift up your head.
P: Here, you do it for me: I'm entirely yours.
D: Your girdle's come undone; and the edge of your skirt doesn't
stretch far enough past your ankles.
P: Well it seems OK to me on this side, but
on the other one it fits my leg perfectly.
D: You'll think I'm your best friend when you see that you're
wrong and the Bacchae act modestly.
P: Do I look more like a Bacchant holding the thyrsus in my
right hand...or this one?
D: Always in your right hand, now
on your right foot...I admire you your change of o-pinion.
P: Then I could even bear Kithairon's valleys, Bacchants and all, on
top of my shoulders?
D: You could if you wanted; earlier your heart was impure,
but now you have the proper mind set.
P: Should we bring crow-bars? Or shall I pull the mountain's
peaks up by hand and hoist them up over my shoulders?
D: Just don't destroy the Nymphs' sacred seats,
or the temple where Pan plays his magic'l flute.
P: You talk so pretty...but one mustn't over-
come women by force: I'll hide under leaves.
D: You'll hide yourself as you ought to be
hidden, coming to spy on the Maenads.
P: I think they go like birds in the hedges to en-
joy the most loving acts of the bedroom in bushes.
D: Isn't that the very thing you're here to guard against?
Maybe you'll catch them at it; if they don't get you first.
P: Take me through the countryside of Thebes, for I
am the only man among them that dares undertake this.
D: You're the only man who suffers for city, alone--
In fact, the trials you must undergo are now waiting
for you even as we speak; so follow me, I am your guid'n'
savior; but from here another will have to take you.
P: Oh yes, my mother...
D: You're going stand out from them all
P: That's what I'm going for.
D: You'll have to be carried back...
P: To me that sounds luxury--
D: in your mother's arms.
P: You're going to spoil me!...
Δ: With such spoils as
D: & Π: I deserve.

D: You clever, awful man, you have come here for such horrible
Reasons that your name will reach forever to heav’n.
Give me your hands, Agauve, you and your sisters,
the Daughters of Kadmos, I've brought a young man
for a great contest; the victor will be Bromios
and I, as the rest the matter will signify.

No comments: